Tuesday, May 6, 2014

School field trip...

Today Tommi had a field trip to an elementary school, it is not the one she will go to but most of her preschool will go there.

I went along and she was SO excited to go! They first talked with the principal in the cafeteria then they went on a bus ride around the neighborhood, then went outside and got to play on the playground. They got to walk through a 5th grade classroom, watch a PE class, and visit with a kindergarten teacher. They went to the big kid bathrooms by themselves (though Tommi's super pregnant mommy had to pee too so Tommi didn't get to go alone haha) then they went to the cafeteria and went through the line and got their own tray all by themselves. After lunch they went to the library and read books with the librarian. That was it for the day but they all did so well!

So Tommi did really well she talked a lot and answered every question but that just reminded me she is definitely mine!

The only down fall of the day was the cafeteria....all went well, she went in and got her tray with her food with no help and I didn't even instruct her before hand how to do it she just followed the lead of the others and got her tray and came out and sat at the table she was supposed to sit at. She got pizza, chocolate milk, they put green beans, cooked carrots, and a fruit blend on her tray. So when she sat down I could see in her face she was on edge b/c she didn't want anything but the pizza and milk. She held it together and ate some and talked a lot. Then came time for clean up...the cafeteria lady came around and collected their silverware then walked around with a trash can and they were supposed to throw their napkin and milk carton in the trash can then take their tray up with any left over food to the window. Well as the lady came around I saw the fire blare in Tommi's eyes b/c she was not done with her milk and she was not giving it up, so she just ignored the lady and kept drinking. The lady was kinda a hard nosed one but she told Tommi she had to throw it away time was up. I had to step in and tell her she had no choice b/c time was up and the whole class and teachers were waiting on her. The tears broke free at that moment and she lost it. She did throw her milk away but then told me to take her tray up but I told her she had to. Through the tears she grabbed it and took it up. I had to walk away as she was going up b/c seeing her cry broke my heart and I knew the feelings she was having. I wanted to scoop her up and save the day but I couldn't! She has to be a big girl. But it just reminded me I need to time her lunch and get her used to that. She will pack and I think the actually day it comes around she will be ok but I hated it! Of course it was all that more embarrassing b/c my emotional self cried but I didn't let Tommi see that!

So her favorite part of the day was the playground and of course least favorite was lunch.

She is now telling me she doesn't want to go to kindergarten and wants to stay home with me but I am just hoping and praying it is nerves. I know she is ready but can't help but feel like I just want to keep my baby home and away from the troubles of the world.

But we lived and we did well!

No comments:

Post a Comment