Monday, September 10, 2012

Sleeping..

So Miley is a crappy sleeper to say the least. She nurses to sleep which can take forever! Then sleeps about a 2 hour stretch sometimes shorter in her bed then is in my bed waking up what seems like hourly nursing back to sleep (and sometimes really is)

I have felt helpless but at the same time if she needed me then I want to be there. She will not be little forever so I kinda let her just do what she wants.

Well I finally got sick of it and on Wednesday evening (9/5) I tried to nurse her to sleep with no success so then I rocked her and finally got her out. But as soon as I got back to our room to put her down she woke up. So out of frustration I laid her down and walked out and let her cry. It only lasted a half hour (ish) and then she was out.

She woke up the next morning with a fever and runny nose and we were going to my parents for a few days so I thought "ok that was a fluke and who knows when I can do that again"

Well we returned Sunday and that night I nursed her to sleep and laid her in her bed and only 15 minutes later she was awake. So I went in checked on her and let her cry. That lasted all of 20 minutes and when she woke up 2 hours later I let her cry again and that lasted all of 5 minutes!

Tonight I took the plunge and nursed her till she took a break and I knew she was done "eating" and from there on out was just gonna nurse to try to sleep. So I snuggled her up, gave her her passy, and put her in her bed AWAKE. She cried maybe 30 seconds...I was totally in shock but went back to check on her after 20 minutes and sure enough she was out.

Now none of the middle of the night wake ups have changed but hoping that is our next step if her being able to put herself back to sleep doesn't stop the wake up calls.

She is in my room so I assume since she can smell me she will not go back to sleep on her own. But we are making baby steps and this one was actually a giant leap for me b/c that means I am not stuck on the couch nursing for an hour plus, only hoping and praying she goes to sleep soon!

And I figured out today her fever on Thursday, crankiness, and runny nose are all b/c she has 2 tiny nubs coming through her gums. I am happy it was teeth b/c I really didn't want her getting sick...Tommi was always so healthy and I pray Miley is the same way!

I am a bit shocked she did so well when she is not feeling up to par plus she has MAJOR seperation anxiety but it didn't affect her going to sleep....HIP HIP HOORAY!!!! Happy mommy dance!

1 comment:

  1. Yay for sleep! Hope she's able to put herself to sleep from now on. Teddy all if a sudden got mixed up like that around 6 months. He was never a good sleeper but he started nursing to sleep and then wanted to nurse when he woke up and nurse every 3 hours according to the clock from wake up. Was just snacking all day and night. He also learned to roll over and I had to transition him to the crib to fix it all. I miss the snuggles still! So I really hope that she's able to sleep for you and with you still. I will say having him cry it out and checking on him every few minutes to reassure us was better than when I tried the "no cry solution" of putting him to sleep drowsy but awake. Two weeks of nonstop tears!! He never did drowsy but awake. It was awake and wanting to play or screaming from exhaistion or asleep and for naps he had a really hard time getting to a deep sleep cycle. I could hold him for 30 minutes make sure he was limp, try to lay him down and wake up screaming. Like he was sensitive to altitude changes. Cry it out took 2-3 days and he would fall asleep fast, not cry and slept longer and the most he cried was 40 minutes. It's awful to hear though. :( but what he needed to sleep.

    ReplyDelete